UK individuals who own assets abroad, or marry someone from another country or who live abroad, and non-UK nationals who own property in the UK or marry someone from the UK or who live here, are likely to have to contend with more than one system of inheritance and more than one set of tax charges on gifts during lifetime or by Will.
We work with selected firms in other countries to provide across-the-board help and advice on:
- Which inheritance regimes you will be subject to and how to resolve any conflicts between them
- Preventing the application of an adverse regime
- The use of trusts to deal with succession, and their treatment in other countries
- The EU Succession Regulation: how it can help you and when to opt out
- Taxation, double taxation and reliefs from double taxation
- Making and changing your Will: worldwide Wills and multiple Wills for different jurisdictions
- Dealing with probates in the UK and coordinating foreign probates
If you wish to speak to a member of our team and discuss how we can be of further assistance to you, please contact Robert Smeath, Partner, or Marilyn McKeever, Partner.